Thursday, August 4

How does the cyclist cross the bridge?


Answer: in the van!

The wind was an extremely powerful crosswind for the crossing of this bridge. There was also no shoulder or sidewalk (pedestrians are prohibited on the bridge), and the lanes were narrow – too narrow for a truck to pass safely. So there was no safe option but to put the bike in the van and drive across.

Just ahead of me at this point were 2 cyclists from Montreal, touring from Montreal to Halifax (they had done the Cabot trail), who had started across the bridge but turned back when the shoulder disappeared. They had decided to try and hitchike across, so Cheryl was able to ferry all of us over the bridge in 2 trips! They were pretty grateful, although I think I used up all that goodwill a little bit later. Cheryl & I had lunch right after crossing while the couple continued on. I passed them a while later & scared the beegeezus out of them by accident – you really aren't expecting anything silent to pass you when you are riding peacefully along. The gal actually screamed as I passed…sorry! I’ve had a number of cyclists tell me that I scared them that way, I’m not really sure what to do about it as beeping my airhorn would obviously be much worse and calling out is usually pretty hard to do with all the wind noise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home