Wednesday, August 3

Wind and waves


The wind got the waves going a little bit today. It’s cool to see waves again – even little ones! Although it was not a nice summer day today, in some ways it is better to see the sea with a bit of energy and cloud. More exciting! Perhaps I will regret saying that if the ferry to Newfoundland gets rough.

Although it was a pretty strong headwind for about ¾ of the day, I was glad to have the wind on several occasions. Today was probably the worst I’ve gone through in terms of roadkill – I passed at least a dozen really bad ones. What a reek! Maybe the Nova Scotia highways department does not bother to clean them up, just leave it to the crows, I don’t know. On this trip I have learned that a headwind is much preferable for dealing with stink on the road – it minimizes the amount of time you smell it and once you pass it you get fresh air right away. My technique is to hold my breath as soon as I catch wind of it, then try to hold it until I pass “the spot.” You can’t do that if you have a tailwind because the odour follows you down the highway for a long ways. I think if I’d had a tailwind going past some of those flattened pelts I would have had a pretty hard time keeping my peanut butter on the inside.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home