Tuesday, July 19

Sunset on Ontario


I am excited to be close to the border at last! We have been in Ontario for about 3 ½ weeks, and I am really looking forward to getting on to the other 5 provinces. Our campground is a little bit off the main road, so I wasn’t sure how close we were to the border – maybe it’s just down a country road or something, and I thought I might sneak over tonight just to get out of the province temporarily. So I asked someone who works here how far it was to the province of Quebec from here. The reply was “45 minutes to the airport.” Fairly low content of useful information in that response, but I suppose it’s good to know I can get on a plane so quickly if I need to.

I later checked my GPS, which tells me that I am only 2km from the Quebec border. However, I am not taking the direct route into La Belle Province. Instead, I am heading north about 50km to the bridge at Hawksbury, and then following along some secondary highways well to the north of Montreal (through Lachute and Joliette). One thing is for sure – if I thought that Toronto drivers were annoying, I am sure to find Montreal drivers, umm, really annoying. Best to avoid it as much as possible!

I saw 3 other cyclists today. Two of them were a couple from New Hampshire, touring around this area, and the third was a gal from Peterborough on her way to the Laurentians for week or so. Today was great riding,they all seemed to be thoroughly enjoying it. I think that if I were to repeat the last few days of my ride, I would not have come along highway 7 after my sting in the Kawartha lake region, but rather cut down right away to highway 2 and then headed east. More distance for sure, but more enjoyable too. Live and learn!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home