Saturday, July 9

Hot sun at last

Hi, it's me! The weather in Sault Ste. Marie is gorgeous, which is funny because it seems to be raining everywhere else, including Victoria. But on the eastern shores of Lake Superior they have had a very dry summer so far. The city is not bad--nicer than Thunder Bay, but still very industrial. Smokestacks line the horizon, creating an L.A.-style smog over the city, and giving a 19th-century England feel to the place. To think that is still legal! Not sustainable at all. As I cross this country, I can't help but notice evidence of Canada's colonial past--and present. Many towns celebrate the first white explorers and heroes of industry, while relegating Canada's native past to a mere detail about "the Indians," who are never named or celebrated as individuals and never recognized for their healthy stewardship of most of the regions they occupied. You only have to imagine for a moment that you are looking at it all through native eyes, and you can see how insulting this is. But of course, every town has other faces besides the one promoted by the local chamber of commerce. The population is much more diverse here than in the prairies, where Chris and I finally realized why the local grocery stores felt different--"Every single person in here is white! Weird." But I have also been surprised by the consistent friendliness of the people we meet. I haven't felt threatened once, anywhere. If a man approaches me when I'm out walking or pulled over, it is always to ask if I am having car problems or need help. It's kind of funny--maybe I should call it "the Volkswagen van effect"! That could come under the heading, "How to find a husband in Saskatchewan in under 30 minutes"!

Altogether there have been no bears or weirdos (other than Winnie the Pooh and Chris, of course), and no nasty flies (just the fishing variety). The most dangerous thing I've encountered on my journey into Canada's Heart of Darkness has been a bad-tempered poodle. And perhaps a little complacency. And some really bad beer. But that's it!

Love, Cheryl

2 Comments:

At 6:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey kids,

Hope all is well in the east. You missed a good Salmon BBQ but I understand you were out of town.

See you soon have fun dont forget to moisturize.

Sean

 
At 8:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi team,

i don't have much to say as i have already taken up a lot of time at work reading up on your progess. just to let you know i am routing for you to survive and all that.

luke

 

Post a Comment

<< Home